Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hindrances

What keeps a person from accomplishing what they want to do?

Oh, a variety of things, I'm sure. I can only speak for myself.

The first thing that comes to mind is the state of overextension. That is, too much to do. I'm sure no one else ever finds herself there. But I do, quite often. The reason? I love to be busy. I strive to be a good mother, a good wife, a good christian. But then there's what comes with all that. And all of you who are those things know what I'm talking about. The duties of everyday life. But it's not only duties. There's also the stuff that comes because we love someone. Because we care. That's why I go outside to help hubby with something rather than stay inside and get that chore done that's been hanging over my head for a week. That's why I prepare that special meal because my son likes it, and invite him over, rather than eat cereal for supper, or a grilled cheese sandwich, or worse buy carryout food. Why do I run all over the country with hubby every weekend instead of staying home and getting something done? Because I love and care about him, don't want him to have to travel by himself.

And besides, we have fun together.

Overextension is saying yes too often. Friends, church, family always need someone willing to work, willing to participate, willing to help out. When you have a caring heart, you find that "yes" word coming out of your mouth much too often for comfort.

All of the above takes away my writing time. That's precious time to me. Some of you might like to scrapbook, or sew, or paint. Study music, sing, whatever . . .

One lesson I learned awhile back--and though I don't always practice it, I've been trying to do better--is learn when to say no! A sweet-plastered-on-your-face-smile that let's others know you'd love to help them out, but maybe so-and-so could handle that better. You have need to finish what you've already got on your plate.

Learning it will keep large amounts of stress from our lives. Learning it will give you more time to do what's important in your life. What God wants you to do. Even time to find out what He wants from you.

MW's Tip of the Day:
Here are some for your laundry:

* Stubborn greasy stains? Use a Coke with detergent to help get rid of them.
* Chocolate stains? Soak with club soda before washing.
* Yellowed silk or wool? 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in 1 pint of water. Sponge, rinse, wash.
* Perspiration stain? Use white vinegar or lemon juice. Use a weak solution. Takes out odors, too. May take a few times, but works.

Quote of the day:
Happiness is excitement that has found a settling down place, but there is always a little corner that keeps flapping around. --E.L. Konigsburg

Blessings.

No comments: