Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Awake, my soul, awake!

What on earth is she talking about now?
Pleasse, don't ask, just read the exciting (tongue in cheek) chronicles of another sleepless person.

Lack of sleep, just plain lack of sleep. Yeah, I spent another three quarters of a night wide awake. Why? Beats me!

I woke up about 2:35 a.m. Went to the bathroom, crawled back in bed, closed my eyes, and remained awake. I laid there till about 3:30, got up, laid back down, and then rose again.

So, you tell me, what do you do when you can't sleep?
Here's my list:
* Well, (besides the bathroom trips) I sat on the hearth, toasted, and contemplated on hubby, problems, and life in general.

* Sometime, in one of my "up" times, I showered (I do this to try to trick myself. "Okay, if you want to be that way, get ready for the day!)

* Then, I sorted through catalogs, walked about a mile on my treadmill, addressed some envelopes, prepared my lunch for work.

* I thought about opening my laptop and working on finishing those four thousand words I need to do on my WV Romance manuscript, but never got around to it. I did do a very little bit of research for my next Romance book in this West Virginia series. So maybe I can justify the rest of the time I spent loafing and bemoaning the state I was in which, of course, you should know after all the rambling I've been doing about it.

Did I mention I prayed, too?

So why does a person behave this way? Wake up in the middle of the night and refuse to go back to sleep?

Here's what I think happens to me:
1) Something happens in the evening which upsets me. That event-thought-trouble registers in my pea brain, and decides to gallup about in the early morning hours, to see how annoying it can be. I've gotten just enough rest to allow me to waken and reap the results from this brain activity.

2) Or, We're planning a trip for the next day. Or, something is happening that is pleasant and exciting to me personally. My brain does not want to wait for a decent hour to celebrate. Hey, why waste time on sleep? Get up and start the anticipation rolling!

3) Then there's the LIST of all the things I need and should do: some I keep forgetting because I haven't made one of my usual maniacal lists. Why, why, why do I remember all these things in the middle of the night?

The thing of it is, I know how I am. When I do awake in the night and have to get up, I know that if I can stay in that sleep-induced state and not wake totally, I'll probably go back to sleep. BUT if my brain wakes up, look out. It's such a busy, busy brain (sad comment!).


The holidays are here! So from now until Christmas, I'm going to TRY to give you a tip or two to help make your holidays easier. (Big smile)

Here ya go:
Pumpkin pie is the traditional Thanksgiving dessert. A couple of good ideas to remember:
* Prebake the pie crust before you add the filling. This helps keep the crust crisp and flaky even underneath.
* Brush the crust with slightly beaten egg white before you prebake it.
* Don't overbake the pie. This type of filling cracks when the pie is overbaked, making it "weep" moisture.

A from-the-heart quote for my special friends:
I especially value the friends who love me as God loves me--through no merit of my own! --Sharon M. Mason


November may be cold and gray where you are, but I wish for you a sunny day.
Blessings.

No comments: